Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Natural Man




I got this email from my mother in law this morning. It is regarding the "protect marriage" proposition in California. http://www.ldsmag.com/ideas/081110hate.html It is written by a police officer who is also a member of the church. As many of you know we voted on Prop 102 here in AZ which like prop 8 in CA states marriage as a union between man and woman. Thankfully it passed.

This article talks about the huge demonstrations going on outside the LA Temple in opposition of prop 8. The author brings up many feelings of anger, sadness, dissapointment that he and others felt as they witnessed this scene. He mentions people in support of the proposition receiving hate mail, vandalism, and the saddest of all; some women in tears were removing the protestors signs from the temple grounds. Apparantly these women were not LDS and while they were removing the signs, the group began to beat them to the ground.

While I was reading this article I could feel a variety of feelings brewing inside. Saddness, hate, amazement, wonder, fear. But then as I continued to read I realized what the author did. We are all children of God. Those in opposition are my brothers and sisters. Should I feel like beating them to the ground too? The natural man in me sure does, but the daughter of God is stronger and suddenly I feel so different.

I am reminded of something that happened to me back in 2005. I went to the Easter Pageant at the Mesa temple. There were protestors there as well. Shouting obsenities and getting in verbal arguments with members of the church with everything from Joseph Smith to the Temple and so on.

I went over to see what was going on, just a little curious waiting for the program to start. I saw this one protester- a very large man with some of the most awful words written on his sign. I listened as members of the church picked fights with him-each trying to be bigger and be "right." I was kind of ashamed of both of them. Although they were gathering a big crowd which seemed to feed their egos and arguments even more, I felt so sad inside. Suddenly I decided to do something I was not at all prepared to do, and to be honest, quite scared to do.

I said a little prayer and approached the man. He looked like he belonged in the WWF, had anger in his eyes, and obviously knew I was a member of the church. He looked like he was ready to squash me like a bug!

I stood in front of this giant of a man and said hello-
He said hello back and in his eyes, it was like we touched gloves and were ready to start throwing punches.

I said, "I love you."

"What?!" he replied.

"I love you and I hope you feel that. I don't know what you believe, but I believe that we are brother and sister. All of this is crazy. That's not what matters though. What matters is that I love you and I hope you feel that." I was a little teary and as I looked in his eyes I saw that he was also.
He said "Thank you"
and with that I stepped toward him and we exchanged a small hug-both completely taken back by what had just happened.

We both wished each other a good night and separated.

I returned to my blanket to watch the program. I don't really remember much about the rest of the night as what I was feeling in my heart was something I had never felt before. I had never felt that kind of love for a complete stranger.

Stranger he was - here on earth, but I know our spirits spoke to each other and it was beyond anything earthly. As I stood outside the Home of my Heavenly Father I felt like I had stepped into a little bit of heaven on the earth. I know that that experience was something we both needed. I felt like that man was now my friend. In the short 2 minute conversation we had, I learned to love that man. I was actually sad when I walked away knowing I would probably never see him on this earth again. I felt like I do when I go visit a good friend and have to leave.

I don't know what happened to that man. He may have gone on the rest of the night fighting and arguing. But I know what happened to both of us for 2 minutes of that night. I know that I now look at strangers different. I don't look at them with my eyes-but with my heart.

I know that that experience was special. It testifies of heaven and our spirits. That we lived before and we will live after this life. I wonder if that man and I were friends before this life and that is why we were able to share that experience.

I have people very dear to me on both sides of proposition 102. It is something that both sides feel very strongly about. I am sad that it has to be such a divided topic and I am VERY sad that it has to come down to people desecrating the Holy Temple.

However, I have learned a great lesson once and I am re-learning it as I write this blog and as I read that article. We are all children of God and when we are off this earth, we will feel that love for each person we come in contact with. If only we could feel it now-how much would change?

So if you made it all the way through this story-I challenge you to try it out. Say a little prayer before you face the giant protestors of the day. Whoever they may be in your life: your boss, your spouse, strangers, the walmart clercks and their long lines. Love them. Don't just love them in your heart, but let them know that you love them. They have their own giants too. You may never see them again, but what you feel will stay with you and them forever.

Whether you are "Mormon" like me, whether you believe that we are truly brothers and sisters, whether you believe in God, heaven, temples-it doesn't matter.

Try it out.

You will never be the same...



1 comment:

Lynnae said...

Thanks for sharing. The thought that kept going through my mind when I read your story is there was a war in heaven with our brothers and sisters. I wonder if it was a little like this then? I'm sure we knew some of the people. Nice perspective.